Monday, May 27, 2013

We taught a lot of people this week

Good news, we went with the zone leaders to the stake center to use the computers in the family history center!

Well, I don't know too much about the specific parts of my bike. It's got a Versa frame- pretty standard brakes, 7-speed. Sorry!

That's funny that Ben's math homework is that easy. I don't think it's too stupid that they're starting the class of with the very basics. I'll probably need to take a lower-level math class when I'm in school, because I can't remember anything I learned in high school... I regret not paying better attention and trying harder to do my homework, because I didn't retain anything. Oh well, not much I can do about it. That's good that he's made some work friends, and that he's outlasted the other new-hires at his work. Where does he go for work?

Good to hear that school is finally out for everyone. It's going to be nice having the summer off from the daily grind of school to enjoy the sunshine and the heat. The sunshine we'd been experiencing has faded away- it's been raining a lot the past week. It's going to be a really wet week, I can already tell (and we don't get the car this week). That's okay though, the rain-gear I bought from Columbia keeps me dry. I think I'll need to buy a fender for my bike though; the water flicks up from the rear tire and it gets mud all over my bike and occasionally on me.

That's good, every time I look through that little booklet of pictures I always get a kick outta' the one with Mango. That little bird is so funny.

Yeah, the Alberts are basically running a small apartment building. The guy we live with now, Addison, is really cool. We drove down to a town called Woodburn on Saturday to go to this baptism for Elder Schmidt, and he doesn't have a social life down here so he drove us. I sowed a button back onto my suit-coat like pro on the way down, and we all just talked. He's a really funny guy, we talked about going to state-side missions (he served in New Mexico) and it was really fun. Through talking we found out the Elder Schmidt was pretty good friends with his fiancee back at BYU and Elder Schmidt was freaking out. It's a small world, definitely!

This week was pretty good. We taught a lot of people (from knocking on doors, which is weird) this week. We taught two Hindu families, and man that is really tough... They basically believe in everything, I don't think they'll go anywhere but they were super nice! I love Hindu's because of how nice they are - always really welcoming and friendly, willing to listen. Not interested in joining the church, like at all, but we'll take what we can get. We also have been trying to get in with this guy named Ken whom previous missionaries tracted, and we went up to his, and he was sitting there on the step drinking a coffee and smoking a cigarette. He laughed a little bit, and told us, "You guys are awfully persistent, aren't you?" and then he let us in to share our message with him. It was a classic missionary moment, definitely. Plus, he said he'd let us come back to teach him more, so there's some potential there I think.

Well, hope you all have an awesome first week of summer vacation. Be sure to catch some sunshine for me.

-Elder Samuel A. Burge

P.S. - So it's going to be a little while longer until I can send pictures... It turns out I brought a different camera cable when I came from Wilsonville, and I was going to borrow somebody's card-reader but they forgot it.. I'll probably buy one today, so I'll send pictures on Friday. Sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment