Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Portland was interesting…Portlandia really hit the nail on the head

Family,

Yeah with all the holiday we didn't get to email until today. We actually took our preparation day today (Tuesday) this week because yesterday we had to help a lady move out of her house last minute. It took 3 1/2 hours, but we finally got her moved out of her house!

Well to start, Portland was interesting! We went to Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell's Bookstore, and this Mexican restaurant in south-east Portland called "Por Que No?" and it was freaking good! Voodoo Doughnuts was really good, I had a maple bacon bar and it was surprisingly good! You wouldn't think bacon on a doughnut would be good, but it was really good. It was really weird, definitely! Just looking it at the pictures, I'm sure you've already gathered that. The shop is really small, and there isn't really anywhere to eat inside so we ate outside on these benches. There was a guy on the street corner trying to raise money for some weird, underground newspaper, two people smoking some blunts making some signs for something... A lot of really interesting people!

Powell's bookstore was freaking huge! The bookstore is enormous and it's really easy to get lost in it. They have a map of the store though, which was useful. I forgot to take a picture of it before I left the apartment this morning but I'll send a picture of it eventually. There were a ton of books that I wanted to look at, but being a missionary I can't really take too long reading a lot of them. I think it would be a lot more fun to visit Portland when I'm not doing the whole missionary thing. We saw a lot of food carts, but we didn't stop at any. Portlandia really hit the nail on the head though!

My week was pretty busy- I went on two exchanges this week with Elder Udy and Elder Taylor from my district. They came to Wilsonville for the exchanges so I did a lot of planning just by myself this week. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Elder Taylor is from Tooele (I think I told you about him already) so we were up until like 12:00 A.M. the night of the exchange just talking about home! It's weird, because I saw him around school all the time! We talked about all the people we knew- it was really weird talking about things back in good ol' Tooele valley with somebody. It was really fun though, we helped another lady in Stafford move out of her apartment that morning and then went knocking doors out in the more rural countryside of our area. It's really beautiful out here in the northwest for sure!

Our district leader went home today, so at our zone meeting last week we "flew him home". We picked him up, and we literally flew him like an airplane. Then we kept throwing him up in the air and he almost went through the ceiling of the church twice! Good times, I'm going to miss Elder Manwill he was a great district leader. Now Elder Baxter is the district leader, and I've gained the honorary title of district leader's secretary or "DLB". (I'll let you use your imagination for that one.)

Thanks for the Valentine's day package! I really appreciated it, and I've been eating away at everything I got! If you want to send candy to me, send either M&M's or Skittles. I just put those in a bowl on my study desk and they make a good snack for when I'm studying\planning. Tell Silas I'm praying for him, I know he'll do fine on his driver’s test! Also tell Kayleigh that she's going to be just fine... That and the fact that she's thirteen so it doesn't really matter right now. Hey, I'm glad someone is making use of my punching bag while I'm away! It's actually kind of fun just to go down into the basement and knock it around.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Thank you for all your support and love! I miss you all!

-Elder Burge

At Por Que No?

Sippin horchata

Voodoo Donuts here we come

Voodoo donuts menu

Maple bacon donuts are good!!

Elder Manwill eating his last Voodoo of his mission

Stained glass window

Looking down the street in Portland

Valentine’s Day can be rough for missionaries

The beautiful Oregon countryside

My freakin sweet planner cover I made

No comments:

Post a Comment